Home Section Archived News Section Articles Section Affiliated Links Contact Us Membership Signup

Go Back   Pleco Club (Singapore) Forums > Care & Husbandry > General Care / Medical Advice

General Care / Medical Advice Sharing of pleco illness/sickness symptons and treatment methodology / Tips on day to day care

Old 13-10-2010, 12:40 AM
Pleco Fan

My Photos: (0)
Default Medication : YES or NO

Recently, it seems that there are many who are unaware of whether medication is required for the treatment of plecos with diseases. I've seen my fair share of people dosing in some medication and causing mass deaths.

To be fair to the producers, I suggest that we only share those that work and what doesn't or even worst, kill.

Melafix

I have used melafix for fin rot or wounds for plecos. Both expired or non expired ones. I could remember the very first time I dosed an expired melafix to my tank which consist of 6: L204 juveniles, 2: 333 juveniles , 35: L201 fries, 3 : L129 adults.

I remembered reading online that melafix was not recommended for plecos or catfishes but I ignored it and continued on. Was pretty skeptical at first, so I decided to dose half the dosage. Everything was fine till the next morning, when I could only see a single L129 alive, with the rest bellied up.

I thought that maybe its caused by the expired melafix. Then there was a 2nd time when I tried it on my L134, I was left with 3 pieces out of 9. The same procedure was carried out, 10% water change and then add in 1/2 the dosage of melafix.

I now use Oxycure from Aquamedi for any wound, fungus and certain bacteria infection. (I'm not an agent for Aquamedi) Another alternative would be MarOxy from Mardel.

Sorry for the long post guys but I really feel that I have to share this so it may not happen to others.

I hope this helps.
Old 13-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Pleco Fan

Hihi!

Thanks for sharing. you are right, most plec keepers especially me will be always be confuse and lost when the fish is sick or injured. a lot of should... should not question comes in and end of the day i always make the wrong decision.

I remember there's a small L600 in our office tank have a torn skin on her body. After much long decision and some reading.. Decided to take the risk and put melafix on her skin directly. first dab with cotton bud very little doze on her and she seems ok and the bleed stop.

I should have wait for 2 to 3 days before putting the 2nd doze. I've got a colleague to help me to dab while i hold that chap the next day. It seems overdoze on her skin and it left me the very day. Full of guilt and full of sadness coz i thot i can save her but actually i cant.

Now .. at least i know i should grab Oxycure for such case. Oh, do you know whether Oxycure is also good for popping eye or white spots on pleco?
Old 13-10-2010, 10:14 AM
PCS Committee

My Photos: (180)

My fair share of experience.

I learn my fish keeping from old skool and so is medications. Yellow powder + salt is my prefered choice, til i learn about Potasium Permagante and Melafix, Primafix and more.............

Til today, i alway stock up yellow powder, PP and melafix........... by the way my melafix can used for years.......... and i didnt know got expiry until recent days.

PP are very good on open wound but as solution, one have to be careful on dosage. DUring such dosage very good aeration is a must, i remmeber killing one because of suffocation......

Superficial injury are very common for plecos. I used to keep pseudacanthicus community tank, open wound i seen it, torn fin i seen it and some other common ones. As I do not have hospital tank to isolated them, i choose leave them at where it is and keep the water at optimun condition and let the wound heals by it own. But during water change, salt will be added directly into the tank, i dun measure my salt amount (by gut feel, old skool isit? ) BTW, i tried isolation method, but the plecos chances of dying is higher then no netting it up, i believe the cause is stress making thing worst.

I dose melafix before, i dun measure much like i said i go by gut feel, wat i know is that after i pour them in, i can smell the tank water with that melafix smell plenty of bubbles too (iz common sight). So far no death for dosing of Melafix and primafix.... i still remember some time ago, while clearing the pond, i net up a pseuda which has a rubber band around the fellow, it must be some time and it cause abrasion under its belly, i can see fresh, so i have to bring it home.... lack of tank, i leave witj little choice but to treat it using a pail. I dose Melafix (again gut feel), change water alternate days and redose, the wound recovers (abt an week) den i throw it into a 2ft tank..... now this fellow is back to the pond again months back....

This is the fellow.
wound

Type: Pseudacanthicus sp. (local crossbred)
Origin: Singapore
Old 13-10-2010, 10:55 AM
PCS Member

Recently, trying to clear my stock room. I have deep purple (not the band!) solution, yellow powder, Rid-All Anti-Ich , Melafix. I will dose accordingly if things happen. But I will not be concerned with expiry date. I will just dose more if they lose "power" due to time.

Myself, I go for easiest solution. Manage to heal L134 who had torn fins, reddness in the body and gasping. I use Aqumedi (Correct spelling) Blackwater. I isolate the fish. Dose heavily until water become tea. In the end, managed to recover. But it is only once I did it. But only occasionally I need to treat fish..

I guess maximum aeration and heater do help the fish a great deal. Do remember warm water hold less O2 molecules. Therefore ampple aeration as seen in C328 tank is absolutely necessary.

Btw, parasite and quarantine is another matter, which I don't know. There are more to it..

I still have 2 types of deworm powder with me ..Think they were both intended for koi and discus.
Old 13-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Pleco Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmundo View Post
But during water change, salt will be added directly into the tank, i dun measure my salt amount (by gut feel, old skool isit? ) t=162"]wound[/URL]
You guys have to be careful with the expiry dates. Some medication like yellow powder loses it strength rapidly and it's also carcinogenic. I tried methylene blue as a bath for the pleco. Managed to heal a half eaten L201 by using a small dosage in a pail for 15 minutes.

As for quarantine, I'd only use it on wild fishes. Usually they'd come in with nasty parasites. Had one poop out little but long worms. Usually I'd use praziquantel and then followed by levamisol. I'm not sure if you may obtain levamisol in Singapore. It's a restricted medication meant for farm livestock (pigs,cows and etc). Deworm medication can be used for all types of fishes, just know what are they. Some don't put in their active ingredient. Usually just types of worms they're targeting.

Praziquentel
Can get rid of gill and body flukes, tapeworm, ringworm, nematodes(not so effective). Can be dosed to the water but not suitable for Corydoras.

Levamisol
tapeworm, nematodes,most worms that I can't remember its name :P
Effective when you dose through the food. Some fishes respond by dosing to the water directly but am not entirely sure about it.

Remember, that plecos heal up really quick when the water condition is right. I'd never use medication till it's absolutely necessary. I learned this the hard way.

Edmundo: I never measure the salt content too :P
Old 13-10-2010, 02:14 PM
PCS Committee

Irwin, nice information on the quarantine medication, do you get them easily in MY? i have no idea where to find in sing, often wild fishes imported has parasites and most of us are just taking the chances, particularly me........ so far i only consider myself as lucky not meeting the worst..... but i would prefer prevention (deworm) den curing.

Old 13-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Pleco Fan

It's not really easy to obtain but there are some 'lobang' to get them. Would you be coming down to MY for the aquarama? I can pass you some of it.

Last edited by zapbranigan; 13-10-2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 13-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Pleco Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyy View Post
Hihi!
Oh, do you know whether Oxycure is also good for popping eye or white spots on pleco?
Oxycure does get rid of free swimming newly born white spots but doesn't get rid of the problem entirely. Just crank up the heater to 32c and add a little salt(a teaspoon or 2 for 20g). It'll go away in no time.

Pop eye can be caused by 2 things, bad water condition causing a bacterial bloom or fungal infection. If it's a true fungal infection, it can be cured with a bath of Oxycure but to be sure, I'd try checking the water first before doing anything. It could also be an secondary disease caused by dropsy. I'm sorry if I'm confusing you
Old 13-10-2010, 04:09 PM
PCS Committee

Irwin, highly lightly.......... but have not decides on how to go up.